Friday, February 16, 2007

Boston

We are in Boston now. The kids and Jake are asleep, and I am (unfortunately) watching the Charlie Sheen True Hollywood Story.
This is an amazing city. The cobblestone walks, the buildings...We passed by an old brick three story building with slightly rotten mouldings, and a bright red door. For about two seconds, I could envision myself at that house, a century ago. There are true mysteries in that house. It has seen births, deaths, wars, laughter. Perhaps it is haunted by old memories, as many old buildings are. The entire city of Boston has ghosts running through it. You know that Paul revere runs through the streets, lantern lit and swinging...stagecoaches carry the wealthy to their boisterous parties in the brownstones. And as an addition to the glory of the streets and the buildings, the ocean whispers beyond the shore. Pirate ships on display, aromatic wharfs and blinding sunsets. This is what eden is formulated around. Not puffy clouds and angels with harps, but Boston. There will never be a dull moment here, never boredom. The coffee shops are adorable, the museums spectacular, the aquarium glorious and nothing less than amazing.
Albany, to me, represents home. But I find nothing wrong with letting part of my heart reside here. I spent the day after prom here, surrounded by friends I no longer know, I spent many days here with my mother when I was small. And now I get to introduce it to my own children, who will, no doubt, relish their trips here as I do.

No comments: