Friday, February 16, 2007

Bush/September11/Bullshit

Bush/September11/Bullshit

This day was a terrible, horrific day in our history. There is rarely a time when a picture or a story depicting September 11th does not bring tears to my eyes.As someone who lives in NY state, I know many people who were personally affected by all aspects of that day. My issues with the Bush speech have absolutely nothing to do with the delay of my regularly scheduled broadcasting, or of someone speaking to commemorate this day. That said, My heart is still pounding from the anger I felt watching his speech last night.
This was one of those speeches that reaffirmed for me the disgust I have for this administration right now. It is not a republican/ democrat thing. I vote not for a party, but for a candidate. Unfortunately, often that means a lesser of certain evils. but this is not about my politics, or anyone's politics. This is about grace, compassion,tact, eloquence and intelligence.
I hate that the president of the united states cannot pronounce words my second grader can. how can a man with such little education and literacy hold a position of such power?
The first five minutes of the speech started well, discussing the people who have suffered losses...that is what the whole speech should have been about. but as soon as he started talking about war, Iraq and Saddam Hussein, I began to see red. By the time he actually had the audactity to mention Weapons of Mass Destruction, I was livid. It was as I thought it would be. A speech about matters that should be on the back burner when we are supposed to be mourning and commemorating. Regardless of my feelings about the war, I believe that yesterday should have been about remembrance, sorrow and empathy. But the speech focused on how we should be fearful, how we are going to continue this war, and about Bush patting himself on the back. He was speaking to a country, who as a majority, has come to dislike and disapprove of him. He was speaking to a country who was mourning 3,000 dead on this day. He was speaking to a nation who has lived in fear from overblown political and media agendas for five years. A better man, a stronger man, a more compassionate man, would have saved his political podiums for debates, union addresses and campaign tours. I feel that we were disgraced last night.

No comments: