Friday, February 16, 2007

Jesus H. Christ

Jesus H. Christ

Rhiannon has come home on numerous occasions upset with her classmate, Clarisa. Clarisa is a cute girl, smart and funny with a good looking suburban family. But what is lurking below the surface, making for a less than ideal friend, is that her father is a missionary in Africa, and her family disapproves of people who have not been "born again." For anyone who knows us, you would know that my family is not a good fit for those who have chosen that particular path. However, I believe I am raising my children, as I was raised, to be accepting of other beliefs, and accepting of other cultures. So, why, after so much effort on my part, can other parents not have as much consideration and respect?
In the last month, Clarisa has informed Rhiannon that the world will soon come to an end, and god will save all who believe in him and love jesus. But since Rhiannon does not love jesus, she will die, and never get to heaven. For me, that is amusing, and I can certainly see the irony in such a statement. But for a seven year old, this is confusing and terrifying. Jake and I have left it in our childrens hands to decide for themselves where they stand on politics, religion, etc... We realize that when they are adults, they will be intelligent enough human beings to figure out what they believe. I am a very scrupulous person (in fact, more so than many of my "religious" friends), and I teach my children a strict code of ethics and morals. And along the way, they will hear our opinions on politics and religion, as well as the opinions of classmates, relatives and even strangers. But not at seven. At seven, they can still see the world as a blissful, peaceful place where people can be harmonious and nonjudgemental. I am still prickling as I write this, and am more than inclined to pick up the phone and call Clarisa's parents. But there will be many clarisas in Rhiannon's lifetime. Many who will make her feel like less of a person, many who will make her question herself, many who will try to instill fear in her. I have confidence that she will grow a thicker skin, as I have, and use her intelligence to turn their prejudice and ignorance to her advantage, and in the end teach her own children, therefore making the world a better place.

No comments: