Friday, February 16, 2007

Titanic Love

If you have watched the movie Titanic, you know what I am talking about when I say Titanic Love. I saw this movie when it first came out, Christmas of 1997. I has just had my heart broken and a great friend brought me to see it, and let me cry in the theater while Jack froze to death in the water. Titanic Love is a love that is destined to fail, to sink if you will, but is so worth the pain, you would go through it a thousand times. Jack and Rose had two days together before she was selfish enough to steal the door out from under him and let him die, but in that time, they felt true passion and romance that rocked her world for the next 80 decades.
For many, Titanic Love is a dream. The idea of a soul mate is a dream. For those who have experienced it, you know that there are some things that surpass words and time.
Your life is made up of moments. Some are trivial and forgettable. Some are momentous, like childbirth, your wedding vows, graduation. And some are what I call "movie moments". The moments that are so vivid, you could remember smells, sounds, and visions even after many years have passed. The incredible romantic moments that feel surreal, the tragedies that make you sob hysterically, the crazy adventures that you can't believe you did. I have many of these moments. In my early twenties, my life was such a turmoil. From one moment to the next, I could never tell if I would be in crazy love, terrible angst and loneliness, or content in Arizona nights. I had many beautiful people in my life, many whom I miss terribly. I had Titanic Love, I had cheesy crushes, I had roommates who would cruise Mill Ave with me, listening to the Fugees and talking about dreams.
For my own daughters, I will tell them....make sure once in your life, you have Titanic Love. Make sure once in your life, you get your heart smashed to smithereens. Make sure once in your life, you make a beautiful mistake. Because above all, it will be fuel for the rest of your life to never stop searching for movie moments. We all deserve movie moments.

No comments: